Thursday, June 25, 2015

The Sewing Box

I found this vintage sewing box at an estate sale:
 It had a bunch of stuff inside, including a nice pair of scissors, little frames for embroidery, pearly buttons, etc:
 These unfinished embroidered vintage linens were in there, too:
 And all of this pretty embroidery floss:
Along with the tangled mess of floss you see below!
 I love this little ironing gal - I like the idea of finishing her up and  making an ironing board cover with her on it:
 I must say, I definitely prefer a more colorful floral design, like I've seen on other vintage quilted vinyl sewing boxes.
This one isn't bad, though, with it's classic  fleur-de-lis design in black and gold,
and I do love the gold glittery speckled handle on the top:
Oh - and that little plastic thimble you can barely see by the scissors in the second photo of this post says "I Like Ike And Dick", or something similar - a presidential campaign giveaway from back in  the 1950's.
And now I can't remember where I put it when I took it out of the box!)

2 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

I always love it when I find a bunch of embroidery floss! Great find with neat stuff. Your thimble will turn up, it's tiny, you stuck it inside of something. Love T

Patti said...

I just love reading your blog! You find the neatest things. I have a wicker sewing basket collection that began with the one that once belonged to my grandmother. I have 9 now! I have been using them for storage - old cards and photos from when my kids were little. I grew up in the 70', too - so I really enjoy seeing what you find - especially the vintage patterns. So many are familiar to me.