Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A Country Drive

Good morning. Tina here.

Last Thursday my hubby and I took a drive. It was a drizzly day in Kelsey so we decided to get away and see what we could see.  We headed out to Coloma and then hit Highway 49. Almost to Auburn, we turned onto the old Forest Hill Road and climbed above the American River to Forest Hill. 
Heading out of Forest Hill we took what became Yankee Jim Road. Beautiful and curvy, only room for one small car! I have to admit I was nervous when we came a bit too close to the edge, it was a very very long way down!
We traveled for a long time and never met another car. We stopped at this amazing waterfall. It was so lovely and the water-music was fantastic!
 The moss was the most amazing shade of emerald green.
 Just across from the waterfall was this old tree with a heart at its base.
The toad in my kitchen garden would love to move in here! Nice and dry and a big picture window.
I had just gotten through saying the area we were in reminded me of Happy Valley out of Pleasant Valley near Placerville, when we came across this old suspension bridge.  Very much like our favorite old swimming spot and the "Rickety Rackety Bridge" in Happy Valley.
 This is the "Yankee Jim Bridge".
 Another, warmer, less-moist day we will come here and try our luck at gold panning perhaps.
After the suspension bridge we headed up to Colfax, and saw at least four different mines right at the edge of the road.
What a great way to spend a drippy and cool spring day.

2 comments:

Lorlore said...

What a nice drive you had!!!! Neat bridge!!!

Heidi Ann said...

That surely does sound like a nice drive! I love waterfalls (who doesn't?), so that looks really cool to me!