Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Do You Recognize Her?

One week ago, I walked into a thrift store and I saw her. Leaning against the wall, on the floor, with other stuff mostly obscuring her from view. Though I barely saw a glimpse, I knew her immediately.

Do you recognize her?
With a tear in the canvas, and no price, I set her back down after taking a closer look. Later, I asked the price. Five dollars. None of the people working in the store knew who she was. But I did - and Marcia (my dear friend who was with me at the time) did, too.
Why, it's none other than the completely fabulous Peggy Lipton, of course, whom I practically IDOLIZED when "The Mod Squad" was on TV. I considered making the purchase, and then I decided against it, since five seemed like too much to me, with the torn area in the canvas, and all.
You know how I am, right?
I couldn't stand it, I mean - she was practically haunting me - so I went back the next day and brought her home. I think it's a remarkable likeness, painted on November 21st, 1968 by John Large.
I have no idea where I am going to put the painting, but I am very glad I went back for "her".
Peggy Lipton was recently on "Who Do You Think You Are?", the TV show about celebrities exploring their genealogical histories. The show featured Rashida Jones that evening, Peggy's daughter with Quincy Jones. It was a very moving program, and I was delighted to see Peggy again. I just read last week that that show has been cancelled, and I was so disappointed - I was looking forward to another season. Perhaps Lisa Kudrow will shop it around - The History Channel would be a good fit for it, I think. I'll remain hopeful.
Oh well, at least I do have my original, one-of-a-kind Peggy painting. Yes, indeed, she is right here with me where she belongs, with somebody who appreciates her.
(Edited to add: I'm sorry, I didn't make that very clear. Lisa Kudrow was indeed one of the producers (Thanks, Jim!) of "Who Do You Think You Are?", the fabulous program I mentioned above. I'm hoping they find another station that will want to carry the show so that they can keep producing more episodes, because I found the family history discoveries absolutely fascinating. And I know I'm not the only one.)

5 comments:

farmlady said...

Too bad you couldn't meet her.
She was so cute and I loved the show too.
Are you saying that there is a remake with Lisa Kudrow? OR... the "How do you think you are" show? How does Lisa Kudrow play into this? I didn't know there was a remake. Hope it comes back on.

Anonymous said...

Hi farmlady -- I don’t think I understand quite what you’re asking but Lisa Kudro was the executive producer of “Who Do You Think You Are?" I had a silly argument with my wife about Lisa and her show. Wife Lori thought me naïve when I commented on Lisa’s production: “No, this episode is only about Lisa, it’s not her new show.” “Huh, no!” We’re both big Lisa fans, I liked the show and was very proud of Lisa for producing it. Oh well.

I think Heidi’s ‘bout 10 yrs younger than me. I thought Peggy Lipton was super cute also but really didn’t watch “The Mod Squad” all that much. Don’t remember why. I think I remember thinking that Peggy Lipton was a cute “youngster.” I don’t know what my wife would have thought of my coming home with that painting though. :0)

Thanks Heidi. I hope someone else picks up Lisa’s production also. Fun!

By the way, GC Girls, I’ve been enjoying the P’ville fairgrounds evenings. They welcome folks to visit, walk around, sit on the grass. The fairgrounds seem to be the closest thing that P’ville has to a park. Clean, well groomed, and other strollers are friendly. I’m so glad I happened upon them. You sisters grew up in a wonderful area. Good times.

Anonymous said...

Me again: I just Googled Peggy Lipton. She was 22 yrs old in 1968, “Mod Squad’s” premier year. I’m sure I didn’t think she was a cute “youngster.” I probably had a crush on the pretty young lady. I get so confused. ?:-/

Tina Dawn said...

I was a big fan of the Mod Squad, which is not surprising, since most of the shows I loved were also loved by my little sisters (lol). Peggy Lipton is an absolute doll. That was what every California girl wanted to be in 1968, tall, tan, pretty, with long blond hair. I would have liked to see the episode with her daughter, hopefully will catch on a rerun. Does she look like Peggy? Love T

Candice said...

I recognized Peggy right away! When I was 10 years old (in 1968) my family was visiting our grandmother in LA and saw "The Mod Squad" filming at the LaBrea Tar Pits. During a break in the filming my twin Alice and I got autographs from Peggy and Clarence Williams III. We didn't get Michael Cole's autograph. I still have the autographs to this day!