Thursday, June 9, 2011

Libbey Glassware

It made me very happy to find this advertisement for "Emeralds by Libbey" in a 1961 Better Homes and Gardens magazine. Why, you may ask? Because, these are the very glasses that our mother had for years! As I recall, they may have only been brought out on special occasions - holidays and such. They were special; we didn't have nice, matching glasses or crystal or anything like that.
If you are wondering why they were special - this is what Mother wrote on top of the box,
"These glasses were a gift from Dad to me (when he went to Tahoe & came home late & worried me) I want them - Do not give them away. Mom."

The box top looks like the one you see below in the "Marine Life" ad, and it is rather the worse for wear, stained but still intact. And Mother - we didn't give them away. And we won't.
Hers are the Emeralds Hostess Set 8 (4 oz.) Cocktail Glasses. They used them for wine, rather than cocktails. Oh - and that was HER Dad, our Grandpa - I think one of the main reasons he liked coming to visit us in Placerville was because Tahoe wasn't too far away. He enjoyed a bit of gambling, you see.....
And here are a few more old ads for other Libbey glassware patterns.
Golden Foliage (my friend Jamie has these!)

Marine Life - how cool is THIS set?!
And a "Cocktailer Set" with decanter and stirrer - not sure of the pattern name on this one:

Come on over for a drink, won't you?

4 comments:

lorlore said...

Yes, he gambled a bit, but remember he almost always brought us back a silver dollar coin each!!! Of course that was back in the day when the machines gave you real coins and not a ticket!!!

Tina Dawn said...

Yep, Grandpa loved Tahoe. I think he came to visit for two reasons, to see us, and to go gambling! I'll be over at cocktail hour, whenever that is. Love T

yosemite faith said...

love that glassware!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Oh, those emarald glasses are Beautiful! I have Never seen any in antique stores. I'll be looking from now on though! Have a nice day! Twyla