Friday, January 14, 2011

Sing Mother Goose (1945) by Opal Wheeler

Lori here, with another vintage book for children. This fabulous book was illustrated by Marjorie Torrey. Inside are a number of "sing-songy" rhymes from childhood.
Curly Locks:
"Curly Locks, Curly Locks,
Will you be mine?
You shall not wash dishes,
Nor yet feed the swine,
But sit on a cushion,
And sew a fine seam,
And feed upon strawberries,
Sugar and cream."

I used to sing the one below to my daughter when she was little, and now she sings it to her baby girl!!!
I Had A Little Nut Tree:
"I had a little nut tree,
Nothing would it bear,
But a silver nutmeg,
And a golden pear.
The King of Spain's daughter,
Came to visit me,
And all for the sake,
Of my little nut tree."

Hot Cross Buns:
"Hot Cross Buns!
Hot Cross Buns!
One a penny, two a penny,
Hot Cross Buns!"

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary:
"Mary, Mary,
Quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells,
And cockle shells,
And pretty maids all in a row."

How Many Days Has My Baby To Play:
"How many days
Has my baby to play?
Saturday, Sunday, Monday,
Tuesday, Wednesday,
Thursday, Friday,
Saturday, Sunday and Monday."

Polly, Put The Kettle On:
"Polly, put the kettle on,
Polly, put the kettle on,
Polly, put the kettle on,
We'll all have tea.
Sukey, take it off again,
Sukey, take it off again,
Sukey, take it off again,
They've all gone away."

Pease Porridge Hot:
"Pease porridge hot,
Pease porridge cold,
Pease porridge in the pot,
Nine days old.
Some like it hot,
Some like it cold,
Some like it in the pot,
Nine days old."

I only chose a few pages; it's really an adorable book!
Enjoy!

6 comments:

Sassy Lassies Vintage Life said...

gorgeous illustrations!

Tina Dawn said...

I love "The Little Nut Tree". We used to sing that when we were little too, remember? I am glad you are carrying it on with your daughter and granddaughter. The illustration of Mary Mary is absolutely adorable, as are all of them. Great post. Love T

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Hi Lori! This is an adorable book! Thank you for sharing some pages with us. Have a wonderful weekend! Twyla

Barbara said...

Heidi - just listed your little birds on etsy for you - thanks! (and this book is just too sweet!)

Unknown said...

awww thats an adorable book, i remember a lot of those from my childhood to. I loved Polly put the kettle on. Have a lovely weekend. Dee x

yosemite faith said...

that is so good - thanks for sharing!