Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wooden Boxes

I love boxes made of wood, and I have collected them for years. Today, I am just showing you a few that are particular favorites of mine.
This first one belonged to Mother. I'm not sure if you can make it out - the top says "Compliments of The Season". It's a cigar box from 1901:
Inside , there is a picture of my niece and me, and the opened box is sitting there behind us. I love the gorgeous lithograph inside the lid of a lovely Victorian lass with Santa:
I've had this one so long I don't remember when or where I got it! I think it may be walnut, but I'm not sure.I believe it's an humidor:
You may not be able to see it in the picture, but the inside is completely lined with glass:

I love this one, too. Completely covered with roses done in pyrography - designs burned into the wood:
And lined inside with red silk:
This one is solid oak with a nice design detail on the top. I didn't take a picture of the inside. Just oak, not lined or anything; simply heavy, sturdy and practical:
All of these would be among my most treasured of my wooden boxes, if I had to choose.
But, I don't.

5 comments:

The Viewliner Limited said...

What is it about a wooden box that is so intriguing? I remember my Dad getting me a wooden cigar box. The smell was incredible. It became my vault for all things of value to me at a very young age.

It's funny, things of value! A couple of bottle caps, a small pocket knife, a list of license plate numbers that I made when sitting... looking out of the window on a rainy day.

Rubber bands, a few airplane cards, pencils and what not. Yes all my treasures, in my vault.

Where did that box go?

Heidi Ann said...

I know exactly what you mean! Treasures...I used to have a cedar "treasure chest"- it really looked like one, that you could put a little padlock on. Don't know what happened to it, and I don't remember what I kept inside, nor whether I ever had a lock on it to keep my treasures safe. But I do still have the little wooden paint box in which I kept all of my Betsy McCall paper dolls , cut from McCall's magazines. But who threw away my paper dolls? Somehow, I can't picture myself doing it, even when I "grew up"! (Or did I really grow up? The jury is out.)

jamie@midcenturymania said...

I love the rose box. That's my favorite. I think you could start collecting treasures in it right now. It's never too late for a treasure box.

yosemite faith said...

i love those boxes! what a great cigar box & the glass lined one is in such great shape! i love love love wooden boxes. i can't pick a favorite out of all of them-they are all wonderful.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I love wooden boxes and so does my son! We keep thinking maybe we don't need another one, but there's just something so appealing about them! Twyla