Thursday, March 12, 2009

Tandy Leather

The advertisement below is from a Seventeen magazine. Remember these?
With stamped designs in the leather, and then painted details on flowers or whatever - sort of like on this vintage wallet?I used to have a purse similar to the one in the ad - don't know whatever happened to it? But I found a picture of my sister with hers: (circa 1973!)
These stamped leather items, below, were all made by someone else and given to me back in the late 70's. I had one other, nicer, stamped "Heidi" key ring holder that I gave to my friend Heidi because I knew she would like it. I still love my little leather bracelet:

Tandy Leather is still in business. There's still a store location in Sacramento - and a number of others in California. And you can order the purse kits, online, too.
But they cost more than $8.95.

4 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

I had a leather key holder that had an embroidered insert that I literally used for years, pretty much all through the 70s until the little insert fell out. Then I replaced it with another and used it for a while after that. I think I still have it somewhere. Those tooled leather items were definitely popular! I also have a leather piece from the 70s my son made somewhere that says I Love Mom or something similiar. I should dig that out and show my Granddaughters. The photo of Lorlore looks like it might have been in front of our house on Myrtle Street. Probably 1973. Great post. Love T

yosemite faith said...

i love your bracelet too!

. said...

Oh that's so funny. Yes I remeber. Thanks fr the comment on thevintagejournal Denise

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I do remember Tandy leather! Although I'd forgotten about it till you reminded me. I had a key fob similar to the one you picture and a billfold. Twyla