Sunday, February 22, 2009

February 22nd

(with apologies to George Washington)
No, I can't tell a lie - today, for me, instead of being about the birthday of.....
the Father Of Our Country,
is all about....... The Oscars!
I've loved watching them ever since I was a little girl - and I can prove it. Here is what I wrote in my diary in 1967: "Watched the 39th Annual Academy Awards. They were real good! We didn't get to watch any other shows but it was worth it!".
This book, below, is a nice reference, with a lot of pictures - but it only goes up through 1985. Oh, well. It's better than nothing. I think I have a couple of other books somewhere....
Two more diary excerpts: "April 10th, 1968 - Saw the Academy Awards. Best movie: In The Heat Of The Night, song: Talk To The Animals, Actor: Rod Steiger, Actress Katharine Hepburn".
March 27th, 1973 "Had lots of homework. Didn't do ANY. Watched Academy Awards. Marlon Brando won best actor but didn't accept.... GODFATHER - BEST PICTURE!!!!"
Later, when I worked nights as a waitress and the Awards were on TV on Mondays, I would do whatever I could to trade shifts with someone so that I could be home to watch. After I got my first VCR in 1984, that meant that I never had to miss them again. And I never have.
I'm really looking forward to tonight!

6 comments:

yosemite faith said...

i agree - it is must watch tv. sad to say in the old days i would have seen all the movies prior to the broadcast but that hasn't been the case in sometime. i will see them but it is a matter of when. there are so many good films and actors that i think this year is going to be great!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

It was a great show last night! All the ladies looked so lovely and glamorous. They did not let us down. Twyla

yosemite faith said...

its the day after and i had to comment on how much i love the presenting of the acting awards. the 5 members of the 'club' paying tribute to the nominees was a wonderful change - i hope they continue with that!

Heidi Ann said...

Faith - I know - I LOVED that, too - what a fabulous idea to have the five previous winners present and honor the nominees!

yosemite faith said...

I KNOW!!! i thought it was so moving and special doing it that way and i think from the reaction of the nominees that they thought so too!!!

Unknown said...

I agree. I like the way they presented the awards this year with previous winners in the same category doing the presenting. I am so glad Heath won. I couldn't stop watching him from the first movie I saw him in, Ten Things I Hate About You! His performance really touched me as they all have since. If I heard Heath Ledger was in a movie, I had to see it!