Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Steamboat Willie's 80th


I'm celebrating and honoring Mickey and Walt Disney with my post today. I thought I'd show you these Disney Dollars with Mickey depicted in two of his starring roles!
At top, you see him as Steamboat Willie, and below that as The Sorcerer's Apprentice.
Steamboat Willie had it's debut 80 years ago today, with Mickey Mouse starring in his first short animated film with sound. (He had appeared previously in Plane Crazy, which was a silent cartoon.) Below, three more Disney Dollars: one from the very first series in 1987, one honoring his 65th in 1993, and my newest one from this year.
Remember - as Walt Disney once said: "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." And a very special Mouse he is! I loved the cover of this Walt Disney biography by Bob Thomas, below, and I had to get it when it came out in paperback in 1994:
....even though I already had this first edition in hardbound from 1976!
And, just in case I have not completely convinced you (yet!) of just how big a Disney fan I am.......
Guess who graced the top of our wedding cake!!

5 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Great post. I would have never known there were Disney Bucks if not for you. I loved your wedding cake. Love T

LBP said...

Hello! Would you believe I found your blog while searching for a photo of John Hadamuscin??? I have had a lovely time visting you and we have alot in common! I too have all the John Hadamusin cookbooks, what beautiful photography that have in them!

Blessings

Linda

p.s. I love you Mickey and Minnie Cake topper!

Anonymous said...

I have the 1994 edition too, it is a really great book!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I love Steamboat Willie! I think that wedding cake topper is the absolute best! Twyla

Anonymous said...

You know, November 18 is generally though of as Mickey's Birthday- it also happens to be my son, Justin's birthday - yes, that's right H, he's 15!!!!!! I started working at the Stage Coach Inn when I was 15 1/2. That's how long we've known each other . . . . makes ya feel old, huh? Love ya, K