Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Witches (Goblins, And A Ghost)

I'm starting off with this page from one of my all-time favorite books "Chicken Soup With Rice" from the Nutshell Library by the fabulous Maurice Sendak. I am obsessed with this book - I have been for YEARS. "Whoopy once, whoopy twice, whoopy chicken soup with rice!"
"Little Witch" is another book I've had for years; it's a cute little story:
I took this poor lady's picture and doctored it up- now she's a witch, too (sorry lady - I'm sure you were actually quite nice!):
Another witch - Madam Mim from Disney's "The Sword In The Stone", lovely in pink and purple:
The page above is from this book - another favorite and one from my Disney Little Golden Book collection:
Poor Donald Duck- doesn't he have enough troubles? In this book, she shows up next door to him!:
OK - this is really Mother Goose - but I'm sorry - the hat, the broom - fair game!:
And this is just some "old woman" but: hat + broom = witch,in my book!

"I told you once, I told you twice, all seasons of the year are nice for eating chicken soup with rice!"
That may be true - but fall and winter are best - don't you agree?

7 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

At the Georgetown sale on Sunday Cindy was eating chicken soup with rice and it sure looked good, and smelled wonderful! Great post. Love T

melanie said...

What a fun blog you have!!! Thanks for stopping by mine!
melanie

Twyla and Lindsey said...

What a perfectly 'witchy' post! I love old childrens books. Thanks for stopping by our blog it is always great to hear from you! Twyla

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Carole King did a cd, originally an album with the Chicken soup with rice song on it. It has always been one of our favorites. I recently bought a new copy, and my 26 year old daughter took it home with her (lol)...like I said, it has always been one of our favorites. Impossible to listen to and not smile. Susan

lotusgreen said...

THIS IS VERY COOL! I STARTED THINKING ABOUT THIS LAST NIGHT oops sorry -- witches, mother goose, old women.... so it's very neat to find others who are way ahead of me!

i would *love* to know where you got the image that's cut from a magazine cover or something. the tops of the letters are cut off and i just can't figure out what the words are. (the first one could be MILK, and the start of the next, a G?

thanks!

lily

lotusgreen said...

oh silly me -- it says MOTHER GOOSE.

duh

but still, do you have any idea where it might have come from?

thanks again

Heidi Ann said...

It's an old children's book, and if I can find it, I will try to post additional information here with another comment, I guess - because I don't know how to send you a direct e-mail. You can go to my profile and e-mail me directly, if you like, and give me your e-mail address so I can let you know if I find more info.