Tuesday, October 7, 2008

(Barbie's Boyfriend) Ken

I was inspired by Twyla and Lindsey's "Barbie Wednesday" posts over at their Two Crazy Crafters blog, to do a post of my own about Ken today.
I only have one Ken doll. Here he is, the handsome little man:
You can see some of what he is wearing in these little vintage brochures:
I don't know who did the artwork in these little booklets, but I like the way he looks. Here are more examples of his original clothing. I still marvel at the detail on these vintage clothes. I adore them, and if I were a millionaire, I would add vintage Barbie everything to my collections!
This picture from an advertisement for McGregor clothing reminds me of the artwork in the brochures:
And Ken's windbreaker has a similar look:
This artwork from a story in McCall's magazine is by Varady. He reminded me of Ken, too - the chiseled features.
The story was about a confirmed bachelor - perhaps he was a friend of Ken's? Could be.

3 comments:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

You have a beautiful Ken doll Heidi Ann!
I too love the illustrations of Barbie and Ken. I will have to research and figure out who did them. I have been very lucky over the years to have found most of my pieces from garage sales. There is still so much that I would love to have!
I was wondering if you had any problems with your Ken doll's arms? All three of my Ken doll's have at least one arm that is loose.
Thank you for sharing Ken doll and thinking of us!
Lindsey

Heidi Ann said...

Ken's arms are in good shape. His previous owner(s) must have been gentle with him , as I have been with the dear little man.

Tina Dawn said...

I love the mistletoe surrounding the handsome McGregor man, and I like your pine tree background for your Ken. Great post. Love T