Thursday, September 18, 2008

Apple Hill - Camino, CA.

I am determined to make it up to Apple Hill in Camino sometime this fall! It has been way too long since my last visit. I'm hoping to go with my sisters; we just have to plan it for a weekday afternoon because the weekend traffic can be horrendous. I want to buy some apples, and treat myself to some kind of yummy apple treat. The brochure below is from 1977:
I cannot even remember the last time I made this cake, but I think next time I do I will substitute a 4 oz. jar of prune baby food for the oil, and use less sugar, and see how it turns out.
Just for fun, here is another apple recipe from a 1910 magazine:
And some ephemera I found from an Omega Nu conclave my mother-in-law attended in 1951:
And a sweet little apple poem with illustration:
This post is my way of sending out happy wishes to an old friend who celebrates a birthday today.

3 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Yum, I am going to get an apple and eat it now, just like the boy in the poem. Can't wait to go, I am definitely looking forward to biting into a caramel apple. Much of Apple Hill is already open because a lot of the apples are early this year. It was not a great crop, however, according to one of the growers who was talking to my hubby. Hopefully we can also make a stop at the Snowline Hospice Thrift Store in Camino too. My favorite. Love T

Twyla and Lindsey said...

That recipe certainly sounds delicious and easy. I hope I can get Lindsey to make it,he he. A very happy birthday wish to your friend! Twyla

Betty said...

I just found your blog through Elizabeth Holcombe's blog. I used to go to Apple Hill every year to buy our Christmas tree back in the early 80's. I wondered if it was still there. Your post brings back lots of memories. I hope you'll share if you do go visit!